The Latinx Youth Leadership Conference is an annual event that celebrates Latinx culture and helps Latinx middle and high school students learn to share peace through leadership. The primary goal of this event is to promote youth development, leadership, and positive cultural identity while enabling teens to see their role as peacemakers and learn individual actions to share with their families, schools, and neighborhoods. Participating youth have the opportunity to meet students from other schools while learning and having fun in cultural workshops, presentations and activities relevant to their lives. What makes this a one-of-a-kind event is that it is planned by and for Latinx youth; a team of high school students meet weekly for 8 months to plan and develop all conference elements.
Please contact Adrian Diaz at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 612-872-6165 ext. 120 if you would like more information about the event.
Our annual student-led Latino Youth Leadership Conference that took place on May 3, 2019 at Augsburg University brought together 242 area youth and 50 adults (school personnel, mentors,community leaders) for a day-long event to share cultural pride, learn and apply life-long skills, including leadership skills and to be empowered to pursuit their educational, career and community engagement goals. The event was planned by 18 youth members of our Mentorship-Leadership-Community Engagement
Academy, who planned every aspect of the event including the overall theme (Environmental Justice and Sustainability) and 12 workshops that supported this theme.
87% of youth expressed an increase in cultural pride, 80% expressed an increased sense of and capacity for leadership, and 86% expressed an increase in skills, knowledge and/or positive attitudes in at least one of the following areas: self, relationships, education, and/or community. 100% of school chaperones mentioned they were happy with the event
PHOTOS of this event were posted on our Facebook page, to view them click here.
Past conference topics have included:
- 2019: Justicia y Sostenibilidad Ambiental
- 2018: Cuídame, Cuídate
- 2017: El Pueblo Unido (The People United) – Theme: Social Action/Activism
- 2016: De Donde Vengo y Adonde Voy (Where I’m From and Where I’m Going)
- 2015: Express Your Identity
- 2014: Cultivating My Well-Being
- 2013: Traditions in Our Hearts, United We Thrive
- 2012: Growing Healthy Relationships Together
- 2011: Dancing with the “Sole”, Bailando con El Corazón
- 2010: Mind Opening Scenes: Artes Visuales
- 2008: Who am I? Finding Myself to Promote Peace
- 2007: Our History and Traditions: The Key to the Future
- 2006: Hip Hop: A Tool for Peace and Social Change
- 2005: Healthy Lifestyles
- 2004: An Intergenerational Dialog on Immigration